Made in Roath 2016

Made in Roath 2016

Wednesday 22 October 2014

Interview: Christina Thatcher



While Christina sadly wasn't here for Made in Roath this year, it's fair to say Made in Roath -  as we know it - might not've been here at all if it weren't for Christina! Definitely not the literature and spoken words events, which we have to thank her for organising - thank you Christina!

Despite all her international jetsetting, she still found some time to answer me some questions, about what its like being one of the organisers of a festival as dynamic and hectic as Made in Roath.

What event are you most looking forward to/have enjoyed so far?


This year has been peculiar as I spent so much of it planning for Made in Roath with the understanding that I would not be able to attend any of the events. My day job took me away to the Ukraine during the festival which meant that I experienced everything vicariously through excited bloggers, Tweeters, and Facebookers.



In between meetings in Kiev, I stopped in cafes, parks and main squares to catch glimpses of the events online. It was certainly not the same as being there myself but it was comforting to know that I could still feel part of Made in Roath no matter where I was in the world. Literally! 

How did you get involved with Made in Roath?

After a wonderful writing residency at the Milkwood Gallery last year, I was approached by Helen about coordinating the Poetry, Literature and Spoken Word events for Made in Roath. Of course I immediately said YES! and never looked back – one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.



Made in Roath must be a lot of work to organise – what is it that inspires you to keep going?

The love of it. It’s incredible to be around so many passionate, dedicated and creative organisers, coordinators, volunteers, artists, and writers. Yes, it is challenging - last year I worked many long nights hunting down furniture, wall-papering a caravan with old book pages, and learning how to use amplifiers from the 1980s. This year I wrote lots of poetry, attended over 40 meetings and sent more than triple that amount of emails. But, it is all worth it, every second. I cannot wait to see what more there is to come. 



What do you think it is about Made in Roath, which makes it so distinctive a festival as it is?

 The people. The events. The inclusivity. These things are all uniquely Made in Roath. This festival celebrates what makes this community so wonderful. I have never felt the same kind of togetherness or collective creativity anywhere else. It’s amazing and I am so grateful to be a part of it.  



What is your favourite Made in Roath memory?

 Judging the Made in Roath Bake Off at Spice of Life last year – delicious!



Tell us a secret about Roath.  

 Roath tells its own secrets. Just listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment