Made in Roath 2016

Made in Roath 2016

Monday 20 October 2014

Interview: Nia


 Well the weekend may be over, but Made in Roath still has two full days ahead - and dozens of open houses, whose doors still remain open for all inquisitive minds and noses! 
In the midst of all the madness, I had a chat with Nia, the organiser of Made in Roath's many open house exhibits, and whom we have to thank for so many fantastic exhibits.

Jon and I enjoying the Mohamed Hamza exhibition
What event are you most looking forward to/have enjoyed so far?

I went to the Howard Gardens requiem last night. Although I didn't go to art college there I've always loved the creative spirit and feeling when I've been in the building and can see there's an obvious mourning for it's closure and relocation. It felt like a 'real' art college should, if that makes sense. The tribute Made in Roath paid was important and beautiful, in my opinion.



Do you think the setting of open house exhibitions adds something to what is being exhibited? If so, why?
Of course! It adds domestic space to the festival, which is largely about the people of Roath at the end of the day. For Made in Roath, and the art within the festival, to reach into every part and person of the community opening the private to the public is essential. The open houses bring people together, it's not just about what is shown, it's about who you meet. In entering your neighbours' houses, and allowing them to enter yours strong bonds and trust are built (in a way no other venue can facilitate) which last beyond the exhibition and festival.     

How did you get involved with Made in Roath?
I started working with Made in Roath last year, when Helen and Gail asked me to help out with organising the festival. It was a great experience working with people who are so passionate and think that anything is possible. I have so much respect for what they've achieved this year  - I know how much work goes into sorting everything out!

Made in Roath must be a lot of work to organise – what is it that inspires you to keep going?
Yes it is, but then anything worth doing is hard work. I just have complete belief that all the work will be worth it, and it always is. It's also a lot of fun.

What do you think it is about Made in Roath, which makes it so distinctive a festival as it is?
The fact that the community of Roath have taken it on as their own, that so many people are invested in it. It's incredibly infectious - if you live or work in Roath you want to be part of it, and if you don't it draws you in with a big welcome. The mix of commissioned and DIY projects is great, and there's something for everyone. 

What is your favourite Made in Roath memory? 
Silly meetings and wine.

Tell us a secret about Roath. 
In 2011 I found a lovely old ginger cat in a Roath alleyway who was bleeding from his mouth. I took him to the vets on Marlborough Road, but unfortunately the poor little fella didn't pull through. I didn't want him to end his life in a bin at the vets so I took him home and buried him in the front garden of 111 Donald Street, where I was living at the time. The vet got in touch a few days later to say they had received contact from the owner and had passed my number on. Funnily enough I never got a call, probably due to the extortionate vet bill I had paid on their behalf! If the owner is reading this I suggest they go and put a flower on the grave.

No comments:

Post a Comment