Made in Roath 2016

Made in Roath 2016

Wednesday 8 July 2015

Creative Workshops I (Bread Making)

When I make food in the kitchen, things have a tendency to catch fire, explode, stuff like that. The result generally involves a lot of screaming, running around, and smoke alarms waking up the neighbours for miles around. So you can understand why I was a bit apprehensive and nervously eyeing up all the combustible materials in the room as I approached the bread making table at Made in Roath’s Solstice festival at the Trinity Centre.

Luckily, the warmest things at the table were the smiles of other festival goers and of George, the man in charge of bread-based activities. He began by handing out the recipe on a small piece of paper, with the promise that we can make more at home if we want (definitely) and then set about showing us the different items we would need on our bread making quest. I’ve always thought of bread as being the pinnacle of baking mastery, but it turns out that even strange people who wander in off the street (aka me) can make it with ease with George’s guiding hand.


The result? Well, the fact that I just ate two slices of my loaf and would happily eat it until there was nothing left, should speak for itself. Along with my new bread baking skills (which I will be bragging about to everyone I know, I assure you), I had a great time at the festival where there was plenty to do. I am definitely going to keep Made in Roath on my radar if I ever feel like doing something different with my day!

by Richard Axtell

No comments:

Post a Comment